Policy Bulletin 455
Why was the policy developed?
The purpose of CD 541 is to define Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) standards in compliance with the Corrections and Conditional Release Act (CCRA) concerning the negotiation and management of both Interjurisdictional Exchange of Service Agreements and now, section 81 Agreements.
What has changed?
Revisions to CD 541 were made to ensure that the roles and responsibilities with regard to the negotiation and management of Interjurisdictional Exchange of Service Agreements (ESAs) are clearly defined. The revisions detail the responsibilities of the Director General, Executive Secretariat, the Regional Deputy Commissioners, the Assistant Commissioner, Corporate Services (ACCS), and the Chief Information Officer (CIO) with regard to ESAs.
Although the primary change pertains to ESAs, both ESAs and Section 81 Agreements fall under this same policy. The roles and responsibilities of the Senior Deputy Commissioner (SDC) were added with respect to Section 81 Agreements.
Both the CD and the Guidelines were also modified as a result of the Commissioner’s Directives Standardization Project. Several modifications have been made, including:
- a new look, resulting in stand-alone English and French versions;
- a clearer context for the policy document by including its relation to the Program Alignment Architecture, the Office(s) of Primary Interest as well as information on dates of past reviews and future ones;
- the purpose, which replaces the “policy objective”, is more practical in nature; and
- a more concise language/style is used throughout the document.
How were they developed?
Intergovernmental Relations reviewed and made revisions to the existing CD 541 and GL 541-1 following an Evaluation of Exchange of Service Agreements completed in March 2012. Consultation occurred with National and Regional Headquarters.
Accountabilities are detailed in the directive.
Who will be affected by the policy?
This Commissioner’s Directive applies to all CSC employees involved in the negotiation and management of Exchange of Service Agreements and section 81 Agreements.
- Tracie Noftle
- Director General, Executive Secretariat
For more information
- Government-wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory Management
- The Red Tape Reduction Action Plan
- The Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
- Date modified :