Departmental Sustainable Development Strategy (SDS)
Although CSC is not legally bound by the Federal Sustainable Development Act (FSDA) and therefore is not required to develop a departmental Sustainable Development Strategy (SDS), CSC has implemented its own Sustainable Development Strategy for the 2015-2018 period. CSC's SDS 2015-2018 contains 40 commitments/targets specific for each institution/complex.
The main accomplishments in 2016-2017 include the following:
- Connected the Structured Living Environment (SLE) to the Building Management System at Nova Institution for Women. (Target 1.2)
- Established a regional automation program to optimize energy consuming systems for all institutions in the Quebec Region. (Target 1.5)
- Installed solar panels to existing buildings at Willow Cree Healing Lodge. (Target 1.15)
- Upgraded an energy inefficient air conditioning system at Edmonton Institution. (Target 1.21)
- Replaced all outdoor lighting on housing units with LEDs at Edmonton Institution for Women. (Target 1.23)
- Installed a heat recovery system on an existing unit at the Regional Psychiatric Center. (Target 1.25)
- Improved waste sorting capabilities at Dorchester Institution. (Target 2.1)
- Conducted a kitchen water use study following the cook chill implementation at Mission Institution. (Target 2.8)
In summary, eight of the 40 commitments/targets established for the SDS 2015-2018 have been achieved during 2016-2017 fiscal year. The remaining commitments are anticipated to be achieved by the end of fiscal year 2017-2018.
- Date modified: