|Number - Numéro:
VOLUNTEERS AND VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
Issued under the authority of the Commissioner of the Correctional Service of Canada
1. To develop and maintain ties between offenders and the community by encouraging citizens to participate, as volunteers working with staff members, in activities designed to help offenders become law-abiding citizens.
2. Volunteers and volunteer activities shall complement the resources made available to the offenders by the Service. Each unit shall effectively encourage volunteers' involvement.
3. The Service shall limit the involvement of volunteers only to the extent necessary to ensure good management and control.
4. Institutional heads shall ensure that there is adequate screening of volunteer candidates and that adequate training and orientation programs for volunteers are in place.
5. Each unit shall evaluate annually each volunteer activity.
6. The Deputy Commissioner of each region shall evaluate annually all volunteer organizations providing services in the region.
7. In accordance with Treasury Board policies, volunteers shall be indemnified if they become disabled while engaged in volunteer activities with the Service.
Original signed by
Ole Ingstrup, Commissioner