The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is the Government of Canada authority for COVID-19.
The continued health, safety and well-being of our employees and offenders is critical, as is our ongoing ability to maintain safe and secure environments and public safety. The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) continues to follow public health guidance and make decisions accordingly. CSC has dedicated health care services in our institutions and thorough procedures in place to handle cases of influenza and other respiratory illnesses, such as COVID-19. As well, unprecedented steps are being taken by CSC to address COVID-19. To protect staff and offenders we have suspended:
- visits from the public and volunteers
- all temporary absences from institutions, unless medically necessary
- work releases for offenders
Other options are available to inmates and their family and friends to stay in contact such as video visitation or telephone. We want inmates to stay in touch with family while visits are suspended. To help with this, we have waived deductions from inmate pay for use of the telephone system in our institutions.
CSC is in close contact with local public health departments across the country so we can stay up-to-date on issues and responses.
We continue to work with our partners at Health Canada and the PHAC, as well as engage with unions in taking the necessary steps to ensure everyone's safety.
COVID-19 Preparedness and plans
Find out what we are doing to address COVID-19.
Inmate COVID-19 testing in federal correctional institutions
- Find numbers of inmates tested in federal correctional institutions for COVID-19 by province and institution.
For our employees
Latest news and updates given to staff via the Hub and email are now available on this website:
News releases about COVID-19
- Update on COVID-19 Testing and Port-Cartier Institution (March 30, 2020)
- Visits to inmates suspended at federal correctional institutions to prevent spread of COVID-19 (March 14, 2020)
For more information
For more information on COVID-19, please visit Canada.ca and follow CSC on Facebook and Twitter for updates:
- Date modified: