Policy Bulletin 441
Why was the policy changed?
This policy was modified as a result of the Commissioner’s Directives Standardization Project.
What has changed?
Technical modifications have been made to the document. These include:
- a new look, resulting in stand-alone English and French versions;
- a clearer context for the policy document by including its relation to the Program Alignment Architecture, the Office(s) of Primary Interest as well as information on dates of past reviews and future ones;
- a more concise language/style is used throughout the document;
- references to the implementation of the smoking ban have been removed as they are no longer necessary;
- direction to Institutional Heads and District Directors regarding the development of a Standing Order to accommodate Aboriginal, religious, and spiritual practices has been clarified to ensure sites are meeting expectations;
- the purpose, which replaces the “policy objective”, is more practical in nature and highlights the importance of accommodation of Aboriginal, religious and spiritual practices as well as health and wellness of staff, offenders and visitors;
- a link to Health Canada's smoking cessation website has been added; and
- amendments to clarify that nicotine gum may be available to inmates through the canteen for smoking cessation purposes.
How was it developed?
This policy was standardized by Strategic Policy and approved by the office of the Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs, and the Director General, Aboriginal Initiatives.
Roles and responsibilities are detailed in the policy document. These have not changed since the last review of this CD.
- Paul Woodward
- Director, Security Operations Division
- Security Branch
For more information
- Government-wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory
- The Federal regulatory management
- The Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit the Canada Gazette and Consulting with Canadians websites.
- Date modified :