Submitting a request for personal information

To submit a request under the Privacy Act, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have an address in Canada 
    • Note: Canadians living abroad must provide proof of citizenship in order to receive the information they are seekingFootnote 1 
  • be specific enough to allow the information to be retrieved
  • submit your request by either:
    • completing the Personal Information Request Form (found at the bottom of this linked page) or
    • providing us with a letter that clearly:
      • explains what records you are seeking, and
      • indicates the request is being made under the Privacy Act

Offenders wishing to make a privacy request for their personal information contained in specific banks, audio, or video recordings, can:

  • use the same forms as the general public or
  • complete Form 1381 CSC Offender Privacy Act Request

Please note that you cannot submit your request online at this time, however, we encourage you to send your request electronically. You must send your request via one of these methods:

  • email:
  • mail:
    Access to Information and Privacy Division
    Policy Sector
    Correctional Service Canada
    340 Laurier Ave W
    Ottawa ON  K1A 0P9
  • facsimile:

For more information on CSC's Information Holdings, please see our chapter in Info Source, a series of publications containing information about, and collected by, the Government of Canada.

Date modified: