Citizen Advisory Committees
Legislation and policies
Citizen Advisory Committees (CACs) were set up by law to be a “public presence” in federal corrections. They help Correctional Service Canada (CSC) build stronger links between offenders and communities.
There are CACs at almost every federal institution and district parole office across Canada. Members are citizens who come from different cultures and backgrounds. They range from university students to retirees.
Roles and activities
CACs believe in public safety, the right of all citizens to be involved in the correctional process, and the ability of offenders to become law-abiding citizens. CACs have three main roles: to observe, advise and liaise.
- Observe - CACs are impartial observers of CSC's day-to-day operations. They help assess if offenders are getting adequate care, supervision, and services. They also ensure that CSC is operating under the Corrections and Conditional Release Act.
- Liaise - CACs listen to public concerns and offer CSC a community point of view on the impact of its policies, programs and services. They also help raise awareness on federal corrections and promote the important work that CSC undertakes to encourage citizens to get involved.
- Advise - CACs give advice to CSC on its policies, programs and services, and on how it runs correctional facilities. Members visit facilities regularly to meet with offenders, and CSC officials and staff.
Here are some other examples of CAC activities:
- joining the warden in an inspection of an institution
- observing an internal disciplinary hearing
- meeting with other community groups interested in the correctional process
- observe crises in a facility
- connecting employers with offenders looking for work
- speaking at universities, service clubs, and other public events
Think about joining a CAC! It is one of many ways you can volunteer with CSC and help keep communities safe.
Contact your regional coordinator for more information on how to become a member of Citizen Advisory Committees.
CAC Annual Reports
2021-2022 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2020-2021 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2019-2020 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2018-2019 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2017-2018 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2016-2017 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2014-2015 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2012-2013 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2011-2012 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
2010-2011 Citizen Advisory Committees Annual Report
- Date modified: