Applying for a position

Question 1:

What types of positions are offered and are currently available?


CSC has over twenty types of positions in order to manage offenders and ensure the operations of institutions and community offices. Staffing processes are posted on the following site:

Question 2:

What kind of education or training do I need?


Education and training are highly dependent on the position you apply for. Educational requirements can range from a Secondary School Diploma to Post-Secondary Education or a specialized degree. Every employee will receive training that is relevant to their job as it relates to CSC's mission and priorities; however, the Primary Worker/Kimisinaw, Primary Worker and Kimisinaw positions require more extensive training.

Question 3:

What kind of salary is available and what are the benefits?


All rates of pay for the Public Service of Canada are available on the Treasury Board of Canada Web site. Each job is classified by its particular set of skills and requirements. The job advertisement that you are applying for lists the classification and level. For example, Correctional Officers are listed as CX-1, and Primary Workers are listed as CX-2.

As an employee of the Public Service of Canada, you are eligible for many benefits that include health, dental, and disability insurance plans. The public service pension plan is compulsory for all employees.

Question 4:

Would I have to work in a penitentiary / correctional institution?


While the majority of our employees work in correctional institutions and Aboriginal Healing Lodges, there are other types of work locations that you can work at as a CSC employee.

Question 5:

How do I apply to CSC?


Finding employment with CSC begins with finding the job postings for positions that are currently available. The best way to begin the search is by visiting Once you have found an employment opportunity that you are interested in, follow the steps outlined in "How to Apply Guide".

Question 6:

Do I have to apply online?


Yes, applications are received online through the Public Service Resourcing System when you apply through CSC does not accept resumes on an on-going basis. However, it is possible to find alternate application procedures for persons with disabilities, or for Aboriginal and Inuit persons living in remote areas. More information about this process is available by calling 1-800-645-5605.

Question 7:

What are the advantages of applying online?


Applying online allows you to quickly get all of the relevant information to the right people. You can also update your profile at any time to ensure that your information is readily up-to-date.

Question 8:

I don't have an account, how do I create my profile within the Public Service Resourcing System (PSRS) at


The PSRS allows you to click on the "How to apply" tab and directs you to a practical guide for applicants. You then follow each step to create your personal profile.

Question 9:

Can two people use the same email address to apply?


The email address you use is a unique identifier. It helps us to maintain the confidentiality of your application. Therefore, two people cannot use the same email address to apply.

Question 10:

I've missed the deadline to apply for a position, what do I do?


Every employment opportunity has a closing date that is indicated on the job posting. Your application must be received by the closing date for that particular job advertisement.

Any application received after the closing date will not be considered. We encourage you to visit daily for other opportunities (Some job positions are only posted for 24 hours).

Question 11:

Can I apply for more than one position at a time?


Yes, you can apply for as many positions as you want. All positions require separate applications.

Question 12:

Do applicants have to go through abilities/skill testing or medical testing?


Yes, you will be required to undergo further testing. More details will be indicated on the job posting.

Question 13:

What if I have a criminal record?


If you have a criminal record, you can apply for a record suspension (formerly known as a pardon) with the Parole Board of Canada. A record suspension allows people who were convicted of a criminal offence, but have completed their sentence and demonstrated they are law-abiding citizens for a prescribed number of years, to have their criminal record kept separate and apart from other criminal records.

Under the Criminal Records Act, the Parole Board of Canada may order, deny, or revoke record suspensions for convictions under federal acts or regulations. For more information, refer to the Parole Board of Canada.

Question 14:

I am a student, are there any employment opportunities available to students?


CSC finds value in helping students find employment through the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) and Co-op placement. In order to be placed in the FSWEP inventory, the student must apply to the Public Service of Canada FSWEP campaign on Candidates are randomly selected in the e-recruitment inventory. You cannot apply directly to CSC for an FSWEP position.

If you are in a Co-op Program at an academic institution that is recognized by the Public Service Commission of Canada, then you must check the notice boards at your campus Career Centre for available positions. Public Service employers will seek Co-op students by contacting the educational institution directly to place their requests.