A Career as a Rehabilitation Officer (Psychoeducator) at CSC
Correctional Service Canada (CSC) is expanding its team of health professionals and wishes to hire rehabilitation officers (psychoeducators) interested in working in correctional facilities and parole offices.
Due to the number of federally sentenced offenders who have serious mental health disorders and exhibit maladaptive behaviours, we are looking for skilled rehabilitation officers to help us meet the complex and special needs of this clientele.
Join a team that is changing lives
Rehabilitation officers are health care professionals who are full members of CSC. Psychoeducation is a profession with a reserved title that exists only in Quebec. As a CSC rehabilitation officer, you will work closely with other professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, parole officers, nurses, correctional officers, neuropsychologists, social workers, etc.) to identify coping strategies that will support offenders’ needs. You will also carry out a number of other tasks, such as:
- conducting an overall assessment of offenders' adjustment difficulties and adaptive skills (both institutional and in the community) by gathering data through observation in their living environment;
- planning interventions in offenders' living environment to, on the one hand, prevent and solve crises or conflicts they face and, on the other, foster the development of adaptive skills;
- carrying out clinical activities, including the organization, development and delivery of group and/or individual psychoeducational activities;
- applying a psychoeducational approach based on shared daily experiences with offenders to develop their adaptive potential by promoting and reinforcing openness, self-sufficiency and accountability for their behaviour and attitudes;
- assessing progress with regard to rehabilitation objectives;
- communicating with other professionals using various tools; and
- providing information and raising awareness about offenders' mental health problems.
To join CSC as a rehabilitation officer, you must be licensed and be a member in good standing of the Ordre des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec (OPPQ), however, the Ordre allows members to work outside the province of Quebec and supervise the practice.
Working independently, you will make decisions based on your experience, judgement and skills in clinical assessment and intervention. At the same time, you will work with a team of professionals to provide various clinicians and managers with opinions on rehabilitation services.
The services offered by rehabilitation officers, as members of an interdisciplinary health care team, consist of sharing specialized knowledge and providing assessment and intervention services related to offenders' functional, behavioural and psychosocial rehabilitation needs. Rehabilitation officers provide services to offenders who have trouble integrating in their social environment and/or have various adaptive difficulties. The information developed is used for planning treatment in an interdisciplinary framework and contributes to reaching CSC's reintegration objectives.
Who we are
CSC is a professional organization, committed to its staff in the achievement of our Mission – to contribute to public safety by actively encouraging and assisting offenders to become law-abiding citizens, while exercising reasonable, safe, secure and humane control. Teamwork is essential to fulfilling this commitment. With the help of our professional staff, CSC is recognized as a world leader in the area of corrections.
What we offer
We provide employees with a wide variety of advantages:
- Interesting work: Corrections is a fascinating field with opportunities to work directly with offenders.
- Learning and development: CSC employees have access to ongoing and specialized training and development opportunities.
- Career advancement: CSC provides opportunities for advancement, career growth and diversity.
- Mobility: At CSC, opportunities are available in both large and small communities across the country.
- Rewarding work: CSC employees contribute to changing lives and protecting Canadians.
- Benefits: CSC offers flexible work schedules, excellent benefits, including medical and dental insurance, and a generous pension plan.
Ready to apply?
- Date modified :