A Career in Social Work at CSC
The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) is looking for social workers to work in institutions and parole offices across Canada as part of its expanding health care team.
As part of CSC’s team of highly dedicated, professional social workers, you will provide quality services to offenders. Our social workers believe that all individuals have the capacity for self-improvement and that this can be facilitated within the correctional environment. Using a combination of professional training, ethics and personal attributes, our social workers change lives.
Join a team that is changing lives
CSC social workers are involved in a wide range of tasks for offenders with mental health and co-occurring disorders, including:
- Comprehensive assessments: of offenders, their families, and communities to identify offenders’ needs, strengths, ability to cope and any support networks they may require.
- Therapeutic counselling and intervention: including professional advice and consultation to other health and non-health staff
- Program delivery: delivery of correctional programs for offenders incarcerated in federal institutions or on conditional release in the community to reduce the likelihood of re-offending.
- Education: to provide offenders and their families with education and to promote awareness of mental health and mental illness issues and services.
- Discharge planning: to assess offender’s needs, identify resources and co-ordinate discharge plans; facilitate referrals and applications to government or community agencies; advocate for offender’s equitable access to services; assist offenders and their families prepare for transitions; and engage in relapse prevention.
- Community capacity building: to develop partnerships within the community to coordinate services, identify and address gaps in services and advocate for resources.
As a CSC social worker, you will work in a variety of settings, including federal institutions, mental health treatment centres, and in the community.
CSC social workers act independently and make decisions based on their experience, judgement, and clinical assessment skills. At the same time, they are required to work effectively in a team setting. They are committed to making a difference in Canadian society, within the organization, and in the lives of offenders.
As a CSC social worker, you’ll bring professionalism, flexibility, and a desire to thrive in a demanding work environment. In return, you’ll find challenging, fulfilling and rewarding work. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team dedicated to helping offenders in their rehabilitation and community reintegration. By focusing on improving the mental health of the men and women in Canada’s federal institutions and in the community, you will be contributing to their successful reintegration into society.
To continue to develop innovative, meaningful, first-rate approaches to the rehabilitation of offenders, we need a strong, vibrant, varied team of dedicated social workers to carry the organization well into the 21st century and beyond.
Who we are
CSC is a professional organization, committed to its staff and our mission – to contribute to public safety by actively encouraging and assisting offenders to become law-abiding citizens, while exercising reasonable, safe, secure and humane control. Teamwork is essential to fulfilling this commitment. With the help of our professional staff, CSC is recognized as a world leader in the area of corrections.
"Apply your professional expertise to changing lives and protecting Canadians."
What we offer
We provide employees with a wide variety of advantages:
- Interesting work: Corrections is a fascinating field with opportunities to work directly with offenders.
- Learning and development: CSC employees have access to ongoing and specialized training and development opportunities.
- Career Advancement: CSC provides opportunities for advancement, career growth and diversity.
- Mobility: At CSC, opportunities are available in both large and small communities across the country.
- Rewarding work: CSC employees contribute to changing lives and protecting Canadians.
- Benefits: CSC offers flexible work schedules, excellent benefits, including medical and dental insurance, and a generous pension plan.
To learn more about CSC, visit our Web site at www.csc-scc.gc.ca.
To learn more about job opportunities currently available at CSC and how to apply, please visit: www.jobs.gc.ca
- Date modified :