Policy Bulletin 600
In Effect: 2018-05-14
Policy number and titles:
Commissioner’s Directive (CD) 764 – Access to Expressive Material
Guidelines (GL) 764-1 – Expressive Material
Why were these policies changed?
The above noted policy was modified in order to provide context surrounding offenders’ access to expressive material. The new GL 764-1 – Expressive Material, were developed to provide further clarity and guidance on this subject.
What has changed?
A complete review of CD 764 resulted in substantive revisions. The most significant are noted below:
- The format of the policy was modified as a result of the Commissioner’s Directives Standardization Project.
- The title of CD 764 was amended to “Access to Expressive Material”.
- Expanded on the responsibilities for Institutional Heads/District Directors.
- Created a Distribution section to integrate information from CD 341 – Reception and Distribution of Television Signals, which is currently under review.
- Established general procedure for assessing offenders’ access to expressive material.
GL 764-1 – Expressive Material
Created the new GL 764-1 – Expressive Material, to provide guidance on how to apply principles and procedures pursuant to the Commissioner’s Directive.
How were the policies developed?
The Correctional Operations and Programs Sector in collaboration with the Strategic Policy Division and the Technical Services and Facilities Branch developed these policies. Full consultations were held with internal and external stakeholders including the Inmate Committees.
Who will be affected by the policies?
Staff working with offenders, in institutions and in the community.
- Date modified: