Case Preparation and Pre-release Framework
- To provide direction for case preparation and release processes while assisting in the protection of society and promoting timely reintegration.
- This Commissioner's Directive applies to staff responsible for case preparation, pre-release decision making and presenting cases to the Parole Board of Canada.
- The Regional Deputy Commissioner will:
- maintain procedures to ensure timeframes for the review and referral of cases for detention are met;
- ensure that policies are effectively communicated to operational units and monitored;
- ensure that operational reviews of policies and procedures are conducted on a regular basis;
- ensure significant staff safety issues are dealt with as per the Employee Protection Program Guidelines; and
- when applicable, immediately contact the Commissioner requesting that the powers of the Service under subsection 129(8) of the CCRA be delegated to the Province.
- The Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Institutional Operations:
- will promote and facilitate the continuity of correctional planning for offenders between institutional and community staff; and
- may, in accordance with subsections 131(4), 133(4.1) and 133(4.4) of the CCRA, consent in writing to an offender's residency requirement in a penitentiary or a Community Correctional Centre.
- The Institutional Head/District Director will:
- ensure the principles and procedures relating to the pre-release decision process are adhered to;
- establish and maintain a process to address cases considered for detention referral;
- ensure a process is in place for the maintenance and monitoring of the Correctional Plan;
- maintain procedures to ensure timeframes for the review of conditional release are met;
- establish a monitoring process to ensure accurate, complete and appropriate recording of reasons for all waivers, postponements and withdrawals;
- ensure procedures for high profile offenders are followed as per CD 701 - Information Sharing;
- ensure processes outlined in CD 784 - Information Sharing Between Victims and the Correctional Service of Canada are respected; and
- in accordance with subsection 94(1) of the CCRA, approve temporary accommodation in the penitentiary beyond statutory release.
- The District Director will establish a process to ensure case preparation for detention for those federal offenders under provincial custody.
- The Assistant Warden, Interventions, and the Area Director will maintain an active awareness of issues and events that may influence the safe re-entry of offenders into the community.
- The Manager, Assessment and Interventions/Manager, Intensive Intervention Strategy, and the Parole Officer Supervisor will:
- ensure continuity of the Correctional Plan;
- ensure institutional case management practices, interventions, and release strategies are in line with requirements;
- provide supervision of and guidance to Parole Officers to ensure the quality of reports;
- conduct ongoing and regular case conferences to identify and confirm the most effective correctional interventions;
- ensure any case management issues related to safety and security are identified and actioned;
- ensure consistent information sharing practices as per CD 701 - Information Sharing; and
- ensure communication between the institution and the community.
- The Security Intelligence Officer will:
- disclose Preventive Security information to staff as required; and
- prepare a gist of protected intelligence information as required.
- The case preparation and pre-release framework is comprised of the following stages:
- CD 712-1 - Pre-Release Decision Making - identifies responsibilities and processes for pre-release decisions and case preparation;
- CD 712-2 - Detention - outlines processes to identify inmates who meet the criteria for detention review;
- CD 712-3 - Parole Board of Canada Hearings - provides direction regarding the Parole Board of Canada hearing process;
- CD 712-4 - Release Process - provides direction on the release process to support offenders' transition to the community; and
- CD 712-5 - Pre-Release Case Preparation for Provincial/Territorial Offenders and Federal Offenders Incarcerated in Provincial/Territorial Facilities - provides direction for pre-release case preparation for provincial/territorial offenders and federal offenders incarcerated in provincial/territorial facilities.
- Strategic Policy Division
Original signed by
ANNEX A: CROSS-REFERENCES
- CD 700 - Correctional Interventions
- CD 701 - Information Sharing
- CD 702 - Aboriginal Offenders
- CD 712-1 - Pre-Release Decision Making
- CD 712-2 - Detention
- CD 712-3 - Parole Board of Canada Hearings
- CD 712-4 - Release Process
- CD 712-5 - Pre-Release Case Preparation for Provincial/Territorial Offenders and Federal Offenders Incarcerated in Provincial/Territorial Facilities
- CD 726 - Correctional Programs
- CD 730 - Inmate Program Assignment and Payments
- CD 767 - Ethnocultural Offender Programs
- CD 784 - Information Sharing Between Victims and the Correctional Service of Canada
- PBC Policy Manual
For more information
- Government-wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory
- The Federal regulatory management
- The Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit the Canada Gazette and Consulting with Canadians websites.
- Date modified :