Designation of Persons with Authority for Suspension
- Corrections and Conditional Release Act (CCRA), sections 135 and 135.1
Responsibilities and Procedures
- The Commissioner will:
- designated positions with authority for suspension pursuant to sections 135 and 135.1 of the CCRA
- designate, by exception, certain persons by name to carry out these responsibilities if they do not occupy a position listed below
- revoke at any time, in writing, the designated authority for suspension pursuant to sections 135 and 135.1 from any person designated either by position or by name.
- The positions that have the designated authority for suspension pursuant to sections 135 and 135.1 of the CCRA are the following:
- District Director
- Associate District Director
- Area Director
- Parole Officer Supervisor
- Manager, Community Correctional Centre
- Healing Lodge Warden
- Deputy Director, National Monitoring Centre
- Supervisor, National Monitoring Centre.
- The Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs, will ensure that both regional and National Monitoring Centre lists of designations by name are provided annually to the Commissioner for approval.
- The Regional Deputy Commissioner and the Director General, Security, will:
- submit a request and a rationale for a designation by name for a person requiring designated authority, to the Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs, for the Commissioner’s approval
- ensure designations by name are only requested when:
- there is an identified need, or
- the designation by position does not provide sufficient coverage
- maintain a register of the designations by name and ensure they are reviewed on an annual basis in accordance with the determined schedule
- ensure a request for renewal of designations by name is submitted to the Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs, for the Commissioner's approval, prior to the expiration of their designation
- ensure all designated persons understand the policies and procedures relevant to their position
- ensure that the designated persons exercise the authority only while in the functions for which they received the designation
- when required, submit a recommendation to revoke a person’s designation authority to the Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs, for the Commissioner’s approval.
- Designated persons with authority for suspension pursuant to sections 135 and 135.1 of the CCRA are responsible for ensuring that they are fully familiar with the relevant policies, practices and legislation while assuming their responsibilities.
- Staff acting in a designated position have designated authority for suspension pursuant to sections 135 and 135.1 of the CCRA. The acting status must be in writing and clearly identify the specific time period (including the start and end dates).
Original Signed by:
CD 715-2 - Post-Release Decision Process
CD 719 - Long-Term Supervision Orders
For more information
- Government-wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory
- The Federal regulatory management
- The Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
To learn about upcoming or ongoing consultations on proposed federal regulations, visit the Canada Gazette and Consulting with Canadians websites.
- Date modified :