Executive Cadre: Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
As part of the executive team at Correctional Service of Canada (CSC), I am responsible and accountable for my individual decisions and actions. I am expected to lead by example and to influence positive change in our organization. I recognize that systemic racism and discrimination are embedded in our society. In order to identify, remove and prevent potential barriers at CSC, I will implement strategies to achieving a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace.
I personally commit to learning more about racism, discrimination, reconciliation, accessibility, equity and inclusion. I will take action to foster a safe, positive environment where these issues can be brought forth and discussed in the workplace.
Specifically, I will take action against racism, bias, discrimination and other barriers to inclusion in the workplace by:
- asking all employees to listen, to learn, and to speak up about bias and oppression;
- promoting tools and training provided by CSC to equip managers to address these issues in my work unit;
- incorporating a diversity, inclusion, anti-discrimination and anti-racism lens into my every day actions and decisions;
- using the annual Human Resource Planning process, as well as every other opportunity, to address systemic barriers in order to enable participation by all employees; and,
- creating opportunities to include and value the lived experience of employees with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and other racialized employees as well as other equity-seeking groups in decision-making.
Building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization is both a moral obligation and an opportunity we all share. At CSC, we must advance this objective together, acting both individually and collectively, and recognizing that our progress will rely on amplifying the voices of those within CSC. This is an organization-wide effort, and as part of the executive leadership team, I intend to be an active part of helping lead this change.
"Inaction is not an option"Footnote i
- Date modified: