The Victims Portal is a secure online portal that allows registered victims, and/or their named representatives, to access services and information which they are entitled to under the CCRA.
What can I do with the Victims Portal?
The portal will make it easier for you to access information from the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) and the Parole Board of Canada (PBC).
Once you have been approved to access the portal, you can request and access specific information concerning the offender who harmed you and manage your preferences for receiving information.
If you have named a representative to receive information on your behalf, the representative can access specific information concerning the offender who harmed you and manage your preferences for receiving information.
You can also:
- Request to observe a PBC hearing and/or present a victim statement;
- Request copies of PBC decisions;
- Submit a victim statement to CSC and/or the PBC for consideration in case management and parole decisions; and,
- Inform CSC about a court order.
What do I need to create a Victims Portal account?
To create a Victims Portal account, you will need a valid email account. There are numerous providers of free email accounts including, but not limited to, Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo Mail, should you require one.
The sign-in process will require you to use either a secure Sign-In Partner or a GCKey to connect securely online. There is no cost to use either of these:
- Sign-In Partners are financial institutions that have partnered with SecureKey Technologies to enable customers to use their online credentials to access Government of Canada services.
- A GCKey is a unique electronic credential that allows individuals to communicate securely with any of the Government of Canada’s enabled services. The same GCKey can be used to access multiple enabled services. Obtain a GCKey, if you do not already have one.
When you sign-in for the first time on the Victims Portal, you will be prompted to register as a victim or victim representative. You will need to complete the online registration process before you can start accessing information from CSC and PBC on the Portal. A confirmation email will be sent to you if your registration is approved.
I am already registered as a victim with CSC and/or PBC. Can I still request a Victims Portal account?
Yes. Victims already registered with CSC and/or PBC can request a Victims Portal account by signing in to the Victims Portal using your GCKey or through your secure Sign-In Partner. Select "I am already registered with CSC and/or PBC as a victim and would like to view information on this secure website." and enter your information. Once completed, you will receive notification that your new Victims Portal account is available.
Is the offender notified when I register as a victim on the Victims Portal?
No. Offenders do not have the right to be notified when a victim registers with CSC or PBC.
Note: If you choose to submit information (such as a victim statement), the law requires that we provide the offender with a copy of it as they are entitled to see all information that will be used in decision-making. However, no personal information about you, other than your name, is shared with the offender.
How will the personal information I enter in the Victims Portal be used?
The personal information you provide when creating an account on the Victims Portal will be used to:
- confirm your status as a victim of the offender(s);
- contact you with any questions regarding your request to receive information; and,
- provide you with offender updates and/or any additional information you have requested.
Note: If you have named a representative to receive offender information on your behalf, we will contact your representative with any questions regarding your request.
Does the Portal replace the manual notification system?
No. The Victims Portal does not replace the existing process of notifying victims by phone or mail. Instead it provides you with another way to access the information you have requested. If you do not wish to use the Victims Portal, you can continue to receive information from CSC and PBC by mail, phone or fax.
Parole Board of Canada
- Date modified :