Aboriginal Victim Services Fact Sheet

Correctional Service Canada (CSC) Victim Services

The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) is responsible for the custody and community supervision of offenders who are serving a sentence of two years or more.

If you are a victim of crime, we want to make sure that you are treated with fairness and respect. Dedicated Victim Services Officers are available to provide you with information about CSC and the offender who harmed you.

Families and Communities

We recognize that families and communities are an important part of the Canadian culture. We also know that often a person is harmed by someone they know. You may receive information about the person who harmed you whether or not you choose to have contact with that person. We respect your choice.

You Have a Voice in the Federal Correctional Process

There are various ways you can have a voice in the correctional process. You can receive information from CSC as well as provide information about the offender who harmed you.

You may also share your views with a Victims' Advisory Committee (VAC). VACs provide feedback to CSC and the Parole Board of Canada (PBC), which helps in the development of correctional and conditional release policies and programs.

Receiving Information

You can receive information about the offender who harmed you by contacting CSC or PBC to request it. This information can help you understand the correctional and conditional release process, it can contribute to your safety, and it may help your healing process. You may also receive information for others or allow someone you trust to receive information for you.

Who can receive information?

The Correctional and Conditional Release Act (CCRA) provides the legal definition of who can receive information about offenders serving a sentence of two years or more:

  • a person who has been harmed or suffered physical or emotional damage as a result of someone committing a criminal offence,
  • a spouse or partner, relative, dependent, someone responsible for a victim who has died or is not able to act for himself or herself (e.g., the victim is ill or is a child), someone responsible for a dependent of a victim of crime, or
  • a person who makes a complaint to the police or Crown.

What information about an offender can you receive?

Once we receive a request, we shall provide you with the following information:

  • the offender's name,
  • the offence and the court that convicted the offender,
  • the start date of the offender's sentence and length of the sentence,
  • the offender's eligibility dates and review dates for temporary absences and parole.

You may also receive the following additional information:

  • the offender's age;
  • whether the offender is in custody and, if not, why;
  • the name and location of the institution where the offender is being held;
  • information about an offender transferring from one institution to another;
  • information about the programs in which the offender is participating or has participated;
  • the serious disciplinary offences committed by the offender;
  • the date the offender is to be released on a temporary absence, work release, parole, or statutory release;
  • the reasons for any temporary absence;
  • any conditions attached to the offender's temporary absence, work release, parole, or statutory release;
  • the offender's destination when released on any temporary absence, work release, parole, or statutory release and whether the offender will be in the vicinity of the victim while travelling to that destination; and
  • the date of a Parole Board of Canada hearing about detaining the offender past the end of his or her sentence.

Providing Information

If you choose, you may also provide information about how the crime has impacted you or your family or provide information about the offender who harmed you. The information may be used to make decisions about the offender's correctional plan. It may also be used by the PBC when making decisions about an offender's release into the community.

When you contact CSC Victim Services to receive information, the offender is not told that you have contacted us. However, if you provide information that is used in a decision that affects an offender's release from prison, then CSC must share that information with the offender. Your personal information, such as your address and telephone number, will not be shared with the offender.

Contact Information

You can contact CSC to learn more about Victim Services or request information.

Correctional Service Canada – Victim Services
Toll-free: 1-866-806-2275
E-mail: victims-victimes@csc-scc.gc.ca
Web site: www.csc-scc.gc.ca/victims/index-eng.shtml

Other Resources
Parole Board of Canada – Services for Victims
Toll-free 1-866-789-4636

Department of Justice – Victims Fund
(Financial assistance to attend Parole Board Hearings)

The Office of the Federal Ombudsman for Victims of Crime